Saturday, February 1, 2014

Bottle Gourd ( Calabash )

Still in the spirit of Chinese New Year, today's post is about the Bottle Gourd. This Gourd has a very unique shape, and feels very oriental, because in ancient times, Chinese people used this gourd to store wine and medicine.

This Gourd is often known as a Gourd of Drunken God, because there is a popular Chinese movie where a funny and crazy God often bring wine in a Gourd Bottle.

This Gourd actually named Calabash, a description of this plant can be read on Wikipedia


When I was in High School, I saw a house near my school has this Gourd tree. Many years passed, and My Dad accidentally discovered the Bottle Gourd seeds sold in the local market, then we try to grow it and woooww the gourd grew enormously and produce so much fruit


This is the buds of gourd flower


And this blooming gourd flower


Innocent white flower has been transformed into a tiny gourd, so cute >.< I'm so excited, and then I take a picture with my gourd plants


My photo at the gourd garden ^^


And this is the young gourd


Planting bottle gourd is very fun, unique gourd shape is quite difficult to be found in other fruits. 
But this gourd will be very eating spaces, it's requires a large garden.


So messy....


The empty and dried gourd, can be filled with water and it's doesn't leak. You can decorate it with paints.

I have unique experience with this gourd, I used to sell dried bottle gourd online, the price of large size bottle gourd IDR.50,000 and medium sized bottle gourd IDR.40,000 . I also sell the seeds IDR.1,000/seed.

A lot of people interested, I also make exchanges with my friends who wanted to have this gourd, I usually exchange seeds or dried bottle gourd with snacks. A friend of mine in Bandung (Indonesia) exchanged 3 pieces of dried bottle gourd with 8 box of brownies. I think she trying to make me fat hahaha >.<

Now, I don't have the bottle gourd plants again, because it is very takes places and messy, but I still have a lot of dried bottle gourd and seeds, maybe one day I'll need it ^^


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More